How long do the batteries last before needing replacement?
A longevity of 15 years is given by the manufacturer, A123, for high current usage such as power tools or electric vehicles. Our low current use should ensure an even longer lifetime.
How long do the batteries last before needing a re-charge?
A charge should last for 8 hours BUT the batteries are only being used when the unit is turned on. One battery runs the clocks & one battery runs a chip. The one that runs the chip will drain in about 8 hours (maybe shorter), the one that runs the clocks in about 3 days. BUT when you turn off the unit, the batteries equalise so the drained battery will be recharged by the un-drained one in about 10-15 mins & you are good to go again. I haven't tested the timing of this but I've been told by users that they get days from their fully charged batteries if operated in this way.
Do these batteries need a special handling/charging regimen like other batteries?
No, these batteries do not suffer from memory effects like others & don't need to be drained fully & then re-charged. They can be used straight away without any special consideration.
Will they explode or catch fire if I overcharge them?
No, but they will die like all batteries! I had a user who unknowingly was using a 2 battery charger putting out 7.2V to charge them (my 2 batteries are in parallel & so only need a max 3.6V charge). The batteries survived for a while before finally dying. They didn't catch fire or emit any noxious fumes - simply overheated & died. On examination one battery endcap had partially come off the end of the battery (it still measured 3.2V).
Will it damage the batteries if I deeply deplete them?
No, but it's not a recommended practise. The manufacturers recommend that they are not deeply depleted (<2.7V) in high current situations as this effects their longevity. In our low current usage this is less of a worry, possibly not a worry at all but I still recommend not to leave them on continuously for days?
What happens if the batteries run out during listening?
The sound will simply stop, maybe crackle a little bit first. There is no voltage spike or loud sound that will cause damage to your speakers or ears!